Monday, January 11, 2010

Simple Woman's Daybook, 1/11/2010


FOR TODAY, Monday, January 11, 2010...
Outside my window... the thaw has begun; it is warmer now at 35 than it has been in a week. The birds are out, snacking on the seed I laid on the grass for them to munch on during the freeze.
I am thinking... that I need to fill the feeders again when it warms up enough to get outside. We've been so cold inside with the heat pump broken this last week that we just haven't had much inclination to go outside where it's REALLY cold.
I am thankful for... space heaters and warm socks.
From the learning rooms... we are revamping the courses Kelsey's had problems with and putting more emphasis on college prep now that she's decided that's the course she wants to take.
From the kitchen... banana bread this afternoon after I get to the store to restock our staples. There's nothing quite as comforting to the nose or the tummy after a long battle with a stomach virus than warm, fresh-from-the-oven banana bread. I think a pot of homemade chicken soup may be in order for dinner.
I am wearing... flannel pajama bottoms and two long-sleeve tees. My socks are now wet from walking across the drenched bathroom rug to see if Kelsey left me any hot water to take my shower with, and my toesies are freezing!
I am creating... shopping lists. Not much else. I don't have the creative juice left in me after the last couple of days.
I am going... to take Kelsey to work, and then go to Wal-Mart to shop. Not my favorite task, but it's gotta be done!
I am reading... the Real Simple December mag that I picked up at the thrift shop the other day, plus three different books on gardening. I'm trying to think warm thoughts.
I am hoping... that this stomach bug is gone now that everyone (except Danica) has had it. She's had more exposure to it than the rest of us have, so maybe (hopefully) she's got an iron-clad immune system?
I am hearing... giggling. Music to my weary ears.
Around the house... space heaters, piles of blankets, and laundry that never got folded tell the tale of the weekend's activities. Pretty much all that got done was a lot of lying around. How come none of us feel rested? We're getting the sick-mess cleaned up now that the big people feel better. It's nice to have Pete home most of the day even if he does spend a lot of time looking at government job listings and working on his VA disability paperwork.
One of my favorite things... hot cinnamon tea. It's been heavenly since the temperature dropped to have that little extra oomph of warmth at the end of the day.
A few plans for the rest of the week: just daily life (hopefully it's without any more throwing up) and then Pete's birthday on Saturday. Jon will be coming home this weekend so I'm going to try to plan something that's fun for all of us.
Here is picture for thought I am sharing... our front yard guests snacking in the remaining snow.

If you'd like to participate in this week's Simple Woman's Daybook, hop on over to Peggy's site and join in!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...