Saturday, March 13, 2010

Christian Home Keeper's Journal 3/13

I'm trying a "something new" to break the monotony. More for me than anything else, really...but if folks get to know me better, I guess that's another perk? I found this journal over on the Christian HomeKeeper Network and it looked like a fun complement to what I've been studying and meditating on in real life...so here we are!

Here’s What’s happening …..

In My Kitchen …. Meatloaf tonight--mmm...., my not-so-favorite! One of those meals I learned to tolerate because Pete loves it. I'll make some roasted potatoes, broccoli, and cauliflower to make it enjoyable for me. Scratch that. DIL2B Chelsey just told me it's her least fave too, so we're having French dip sandwiches and salads! Now THAT's yummy.

With Our Marriage …. It's a bit surreal (I've been using that word a lot over the last year and a half!) to see that our son and his fiancee actually WANT a relationship like ours, so with all the twists, turns, and upheavals, the realization that we must be doing something right--or at least that we have our foundation in the right place--is reassuring.

With The Children ….. While the little girls are learning to enjoy the benefits of living out of the city limits and being home more often than not, Kelsey is pulling further and further away. Natural, I guess, at this age and phase of life, but it's disconcerting nonetheless. She wants to grow up faster than she should, I'm afraid. I pray she doesn't regret leaving family in the dust as she speeds off into "real life". Causing even more internal conflict is the realization (for me) that my emotional constipation probably led to 90% of the problems we've got with her. And her brother. Ouch.

What I’m Reading … far too many curriculum catalogs and reviews. My brain hurts. I picked up the Duggars' book last night for some "lighter" reading and ended up being challenged more than I ever imagined.

What I Have Been Learning … that you never stop learning. It only gets deeper.

What I’ve Been Noticing …. that the children I used to think were "sheltered", abnormal, and didn't have the opportunities that other kids have had, have turned out to be probably the most mature young adults in the group. Not my kids, unfortunately. But it really makes me stop and think that if I want the younger girls to be as mature, well-adjusted, and as deeply connected to God and our family, I'd best start rethinking the way we've believed children "should" be raised.

Something that pleases me … second chances. And third chances. Do-overs in general. I'm very thankful that God gives them to us.

On The Back Burner of My Mind …. I've got so much to get "done" medically and through our dental insurance before Pete's officially retired and we have to switch insurances. Two things I despise...doctors' visits where I know I'll be lectured, and dentist offices. Dentists are my one MAJOR phobia...bet you didn't know THAT about me, did you?

In The Deepest Darkest Recesses …. fear that I can't change.

Okay, I certainly didn't expect something so "vanilla" as a home keeper's journal to open up my heart that much...I guess it's just been one of those weeks that I've had all this brewing in the back of my mind and needed the right outlet. Wow.

1 comment:

Qtpies7 said...

I am totally not OK with going to the dentist, either. Freaks me out. I don't even like to bring the kids, either. Not good.
The orthodontist I can handle, even though it costs a lot more money for me, lol.

I think I have swung the other way with the kids, though. I used to be great at sheltering the older kids, and I knew it was good and produced mature, well adjusted kids. But now I am less sheltering, probably out of laziness, because I still believe it is a good way to raise kids. My older kids are very well adjusted and pretty mature.
We really need to brush up on our convictions in that area.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...