Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The battle of the books

I think after all these years of dragging boxes and boxes (and boxes, and boxes) of STUFF around, I've reached my breaking point. As Pete and I look to the not-so-distant future of finally settling into a house that we plan on living in for a good, long while, the daunting task of finding a place big enough for all of our STUFF brings reality to the forefront. We've got a lot of STUFF.

I'll be the first to admit, I have a problem when it comes to books. I don't just collect them; I tend toward hoarding. I'm like the crazy cat lady of books--if someone has a castoff, I'll take it and give it a new home on my shelf. Not such a bad thing--I do read most of them--but the problem lies in the fact that my shelf overfloweth. Shelves, I should say. Oh, and nevermind I still have homeschool books that didn't work for us when we started homeschooling eleven years ago. Why did I keep them? I haven't the foggiest idea.

Today, I'm going to do something I've not even considered humanly possible--I'm purging my shelves. I'm going to make the decision (that Pete's been asking me to make for years) to dedicate our schooling to ONE curriculum, and get rid of the STUFF that I'm never going to use or is just taking up space needed for something more pertinent.

Wish me luck; this is no small undertaking!

2 comments:

MomOfGr8Kidz said...

You should bring your unused homeschool books to the meeting Monday. Then anything left over can be donated to AGAPE. They are going to donate the left over clothes anyway. What's a few boxes of books. Just a thought... I'm a book hoarder too and would love to see what you have. ;o)

Kathleen said...

I know the answer to your question! The reason you keep them is because you just never know when you might need them!! I see from the other comment that you already have an offer to take some of your books off your hands, er, shelves; otherwise, I'd be happy to make a trip over to AL (isn't it?) as I am a fellow book hoarder with no desire at the moment to purge!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...